Central Baptist Church
It is one of the oldest churches in north-east India. It was built by the American Christian Baptist Missionaries on the bank of the famous Sivasagar Tank (Borpukhuri) in the year 1845. Rev. Nathan Brown is the first pastor of this historical church. With him were associated Rev. Miles Bronson, Oliver Cutter and William Ward who collectively brought the rebirth of Assamese Language during the British rule Arunodoy, the first newspaper in Assamese in 1846.