The Pohu Garh was built by Ahom Swargadeo Rudra Singha during 1696-1714 as a natural zoo. It can be marked as Asia’s first natural zoo of that period. It was built for animals including rhinoceros, deer, tigers, elephants, but now it has become home to thousands of migratory birds.
Flocks of Siberain Pelican, Glossy Ibis, Bar-headed goose, Greylag Goose and numerous other species arrive in Pohu Garh during the month of November and December.
Pohu Garh is located at in between Joysagar Tank & Rudrasagar Tank and around 5.0 KMs away from Sivasagar Town.